Wednesday, April 30, 2008

DOORSTEP

NOTE:
I've decided to sync up with the folks at objectwriting.com by using their word of the day. this way i don'thave to think of a word, and i have something to compare to, other thoughts to chew on. i don't know how they choose their words, but i'm grateful to them! i'm too sleepy to come up with my own in the morning...


The hard wooden tread of the doorstep is numbing my backside. I'm sitting, legs drawn up so my chin is resting in the space between my knees, the light of day giving way to the watery fog of twilight. This is my favorite time of day—when all begins to quieten as if the scene in a movie were fading out, sound and sight becoming dim, the moment before death or sleep. I hear the rushing of cars like a whining surf washing over everything and wiping away thought. I lift the warm smooth mug of tea to my lips, the steam ticlkes my nostrils with its flowery aroma like a field in spring, taking me far from here for just a moment, leaving the soft taste of honey in my mouth. the warmth of the tea makes me realize my ass is getting cold and its certainly sore. but i stay, shifting to find a more comfortable position.

3 comments:

Dan said...

bro, were you really up at 4:52 am writing this? damn.

sorry i haven't commented before, but i've been reading along and checking every day for your new posts.

i noticed a potential connection between the in-between time of day you describe and the in-between step under your butt.

Dan said...

i just noticed that my comment was posted as 10:02 am, but it's really 1:02 pm here. i guess blogger is set to pacific time!

mark bodah said...

thanks fer looking bro. i feel better about writing when i'm being more abstract, like i do with art...

of course i was up at 4:52 am writing! NOT!